There are quite a few reasons why I chose to study Japanese. I have always wanted to learn another language other than English and Spanish, which I grew up learning simultaneously. Academically, my strengths have always been math and science, and I performed average in the humanities and other subjects. Subsequently, I chose to study engineering when I entered college. I have always wanted to steer away from what I was comfortable with, but I have always taken required classes or those that I know will prove advantageous to my future or career.
I recently received a job offer at the Japanese firm that I had the honor to work for over the summer,Nomura. I discovered that the company encouraged employees to learn the language and offered rigorous classes to do so. Immediately I planned to get a head start by taking the course here at Columbia. Unfortunately, I did not want to presumptuously sign up for the course without knowing if I had an offer. I found out a few days after classes started and added the class late. I am so excited to finally have the opportunity to challenge myself in the way that I have always wanted to while simultaneously allowing me to better understand the culture of the executives at my firm(since I quickly discovered the great difference in culture with regards to being proper and respectful). Equally as exciting is the possibility of future business travel to work at the main headquarters in Tokyo!
I really feel like I am struggling right now because although I am working hard everyday, the class continues to advance as well. So I am constantly a few steps behind. I hope to bridge this gap soon though because regardless of the struggle, I really enjoy attending this class four days a week at the beginning of my day because it is such a refreshing and exciting change of pace. This is the first college course that I have ever taken that was out of pure pleasure and not a requirement. I cannot wait until I can participate in class more confidently. Thanks for all of my neighbors who sit next to me and help me with such patience!
こんばんは!わたしは Tammi- です。
ReplyDeleteHi Dilcia! Congratulations on your job offer :) While we have to learn much every day in this class, I'm glad that you are taking it! It's great that you enjoy coming to this class four days a week despite the difficulties you are having (don't worry! we are all having some difficulty or another). Let's work hard!
がんばって!
こんばんわ!わたしはGlendaです。
ReplyDeleteHi Dilcia! Great self-introduction! It's very exciting that you'll have the opportunity to live and work in Tokyo, and you're very wise to get this head start! Hope we'll have a good time progressing together!
どもありがと!じゃまたあした!
こんにちは!
ReplyDeleteThis class is very difficult to keep up with. まいにちべんきょうしますか?